The word “Steroids” has different meanings. Steroids are chemicals and hormones, that your body makes naturally which help your organs, tissues, and cells to perform their functions.
“Steroids” can also refer to as synthetic version of man-made medicines.
There are two main types : corticosteroids and anabolic-androgenic steroids.
According to the National Institute of General Medical Sciences, the term “steroid” is refers to as the classification of drug and a chemical name for any substance that has a chemical structure composed of multiple chemical rings atoms that binds to each other.
common examples of steroids :
- Vitamin D
Steroids are responsible for keeping the body running smoothly and many of them have important roles in the body’s reproductive system..
Corticosteroids or glucocorticoids, also called “steroids” are drugs that mimics to cortisol, a hormone which is naturally synthesize in the adrenal cortex .
Corticosteroids inhibits the production anti-inflammatory and allergic substances by blocking their actives site act on the immune system, substances such as histamines and prostaglandins.
Some Example of Corticosteroids :
- Betamethasone (Celestone)
- Cortisone (Cortone)
- Dexamethasone (Decadron)
- Hydrocortisone (Cortef)
- Methylprednisolone (Medrol)
- Prednisolone (Prelone)
ANABOLIC STEROIDS :
The term “Anabolic” refers to as muscle building or the growth of muscles whereas the term “Androgenic” refers to as increased in masculine characteristics
Anabolic –androgenic Steroids are man made drug derived from synthetic male sex hormone testosterone, a natural male hormone that are used to enhance performance.
Background history of Anabolic Steroids :
Anabolic steroids are powerful compounds that are closely related chemically to the male sex hormone testosterone.
Anabolic steroids were first developed artificially in the 1930’s for the men whose bodies produced decrease amounts of the natural hormone that is responsible for the development of secondary sexual characteristics and masculine characteristics occurring at puberty, such as the deepness of the voice and growth of body hair.
From the 1930’s cholesterol and several steroids, including testosterone, had been isolated and methods of producing these hormones are established.
Today more than 40 synthetic steroids are marketed worldwide.
How do they work?
The anabolic agents in steroids stimulates the increase in retention of Nitrogen, causing an increase in the growth of muscle.
Positive Effects :
- Doctor prescribed steroids to increase muscle tissue for cancer patients.
- Use for the increase in natural hormone Could “jump start” the testosterone process in delayed puberty for adolescents.
- Steroid enhance the muscle strength, endurance, and tissue growth.
- Athletes who use steroids in combination with a weight training program can be experienced by their rapid muscle and weight gains. Anvarol
Who Uses Steroids?
- Athletes in sports that rely on muscle size and strength: football, baseball, and wrestling.
- Endurance athletes: track and swimming.
- For the weight training or body building athletes.
- Anyone else interested in building or wants to increase in muscle mass with strength.
Train/Work out the Efficient way!!!
Consult a doctor about nutrition and ways to gain weight or increase in size.
- Work Hard
- Healthy and proper Diet
- Plenty of sleep and rest
- Set goals
- Work and training under the supervision
Patterns of Use :
The numbers of steroids used at one time gradually increased and decreased in a cyle, a process known as PYRAMIDING.
When the several different anabolics are used simultaneously, a process known as STACKING.
CYCLING : Consume multiple doses of steroids over a specific period of time, stopping and then starting over.
Must Check: Legal Steroids in 2017
How Steroids are taken
- Injected intramuscularly in which the use of needle to insert the steroid directly into the muscle group being worked, injected into muscle and spread throughout the body. It takes the longer detection time and Liver and kidneys are not affected by this method.
Orally as supplements , where the user takes a pill or tablets and lets it distribute itself, after catabolism by the body, to all muscle areas. It takes the less detection time and fat soluble.
- Topical Creams, which are rubbed into the skin at particular or defined areas where the user wants to work out.
Why Steroids are abused
- Steroids taken in combo with a muscle building and strength training exercises program which contribute to increases in muscle and muscular strength.
- As a result of this , some athletes, in a variety of sports they used anabolic steroids to short cut their training while enhancing their performance.
- Today mostly young males and females body builders and athletes’ are abusing anabolic steroids.
SIDE EFFECTS :
Long term and over use of steroids can developed HIV, cardio vascular disease ,serious Injury (post cycle) ,Irreversible liver damage, infertility and gynecomastia
Gynecomastia is the development of excessive breasts in males. It is not caused by steroids but the use of steroids will increase a risk of getting Gynecomastia